Thursday, January 12, 2012

Best day yet!

What an amazing day! 

Our school recenlty acquired a mobile lab of 30 iPad 2's and today I tested them in my classroom.  It went so well that it was almost unbelievable!  Our technology director did an amazing job getting the iPads ready for the roll-out.  He and I are giving a professional development to the rest of the district's teachers, so he stayed in my classroom all morning watching the students interact with the iPads and talking to them about some of the possibilities of what's to come.

The students' excitement over realizing they were going to be able to use iPads in their classes was incredible.  At first, they thought the iPads were just for my classsroom and they were going to use them every day.  When I told them that it was a mobile lab that any teacher would be able to check out for the hour/day, you could see the wheels turning and they couldn't contain their curiosity.  They had a million questions and just can't wait.  The news spread to the other students in the building (I have the luxury of working in a rural 5-12 building) and I had students of all ages telling me all day that they wished they were in my math class.  I assured them that their teacher would be able to check out the mobile lab and that they would be using the iPads in no time.  The entire building seemed to be in a buzz about the iPads (and the first snowfall of the season). 

I can't wait to get the iPads into the rest of the classrooms.  Our students DESERVE this and they deserve to be excited about their education and the possibilities that their future offers.  Our teachers deserve it too!  I hope everyone's first day using the iPads in their classrooms goes as well as mine did!

No comments:

Post a Comment