Monday, November 5, 2012

Out of the Rut!

Last week I had a meeting with my high school math department.  I like each of the people in our department and am sure they are good teachers, but I left the meeting feeling like I am not on the same page as any of them when it comes to teaching.  Who am I kidding, I'm not even in the same book! 

Then, I second guessed myself all week.  Is my teaching style preparing my students for the teachers they'll get in high school?  Probably not.  Is my teaching style compatible with most of my students way of learning?  I think so.  They're doing fine anyway.  Maybe I'm too "out there."  Maybe I should talk more instead of letting the students discover the information they need to use as a class or in small groups.  (This doesn't even sound like something I would ever say)  Are they learning the skills they are going to need to be successful in their future endeavors?  Yes if we're not talking about sitting in a classroom and expecting to be spoon fed.  I just felt like I was in a funk and started to doubt myself.

Thursday night and Friday we had Parent-Teacher conferences, except I did student-lead conferences so the students were doing all of the talking.  Who knows their education better than they do?  Again, I was breaking the mold in my school.  However, by the time conferences were over on Friday, I had my mo-jo back.  Students and parents both appreciate that my class isn't a "traditional" classroom.  They like sitting at tables instead of desks because it's more comfortable and allows for a better "working" environment.  I even had one student tell me that she's learned more this year than any other year she can remember.  She said, "I'm learning so much more than math when I'm in here.  Mom, I'm learning how to work with people and talk to them when I don't agree with them.  I've learned how to use an iPad, Edmodo, and Todays Meet and I can't wait to use these really sweet calculators Mrs. Litchfield has!"  Of course we had to show her mom everything she was talking about and how we're using them for education.

I have to remind myself that I don't teach "outside the box" to make other teachers in my school happy.  I teach how I believe the students learn the best.  I do what I think is best for them (not what's easiest for me).  They're involved. They're "doing." They're discussing.  They're analyzing.  They're creating.  They're engaged.  They're excited to be in my class and I am excited to be their teacher!   

No comments:

Post a Comment