Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Active Learning

I have been involved in a grant project through Western Illinois University for the last year.  We are finishing the last part of it this summer with a 2-week wrap-up session of trainings.  I wanted to give props to the WIU professors who have been presenting the last 2 days.  So often I attend trainings where the presenter does just that - presents.  These two gentlemen, Dr. Olsen and Dr. Mann, have done a great job at having us be active participants in the training.  This is so much more effective for me than just attending a sit-and-get workshop. 

I believe I do a decent job in my classroom of keeping the students involved, but this summer I am focusing on finding hands-on activities and ideas of things to do in my classroom to keep improving.  This is a great active-learning training for me to be attending.  I've read Ron Clark's The End of Molasses Classes and am in the middle of Dave Burgess's Teach Like a Pirate.  Pinterest amazes me, not to mention sucks all of the time out of the day, and I am getting more involved in Learnist. I swore I'd contribute to Twitter more often instead of just creeping around and absorbing everyone else's knowledge.  I've also been listening to podcasts while I workout, mow, and do household chores.   The summer is a time for me to reflect and make goals for next year. So, thank you to everyone who's been helping me with that this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment